Notre Dame College was established in Arambagh, Dhaka in November, 1949. It was established by the Roman Catholic Priests from the Congregation of Holy Cross because of the crisis in the education sector of the new born East Pakistan. It was known as the St. Gregory College, an extension of the St. Gregory's School, which was also established by the mission. It was relocated to its current location in Motijheel in 1954 and renamed to Notre Dame College. The new name was a tribute to the University of Notre Dame, the alma mater of many of the faculty members. In French Notre Dame means Our Lady, that stands for Mother Mary.
Since 1980s (after the liberation war), Notre Dame College gained reputation of the best institution for higher secondary education in the country. The highest number of perfect GPA holders in national examination (H.S.C.) and the exceptional success of its students in university admission tests bear testimony to this.