Govt. Ashek Mahmud College ,JAMALPUR, JAMALPUR SADAR - 2000
Asheq Mahmud College, the largest and the renowned educational institution for higher studies in the district of Jamalpur and Sherpur as well as in Bangladesh, was established on August 10, 1946. Before running this college many a dedicated persons tried hard to establish a college in Jamalpur. At last the dream of the people of this area comes true by the donation of Alhaj Asheq Mahmud Talukder,a landlord of Gabergram in Madarganj Upazila of Jamalpur. In the meanwhile, the then Sub-divisional Officer of Jamalpur Md. Pana Ullah, a non-Bengali man devoted greatly to the spreading of education in the remote areas made all arrangements.
For the establishment of the college 20 thousand taka was collected from the Boishakhi Mela(fair) and 31 acres of land was acquired from the government at Itkhola. In the session of 1946-47 one hundred and sixty students were admitted. Among them 117 students were muslims and 39 students were Hindus. Then the collge was affiliated as an arts college on 10 august, 1946. Though the primary work for the establishment of the college was started by the money collected from the mela, it was finally named by Asheq Mahmud after getting the donation of tk 40,000 from Asheq Mahmud Talukdar. It was nationalized on may 7 in 1979. Starting with a few students, now the college has more than 8500 students including 5000 in the honors level.
The college has a hostel facility for 350 students, both male and female in three dormitories. There is a modernized auditorium and three separated academic buildings for arts, science and commerce faculties.
The college has a library containing 12,000 books and every department has a rich seminar.
Many prominent educationists did their jobs with earnest sincerity as principals of this college. The principals who served to take the college to such a position since its establishment in 1946 are (before nationalization) Azimuddin Ahmed(the first principal of the college), AHMA Quddus, Abdul Awal, Md. Habibur Rahman and Sujat Ali Miah. The principals after the nationalization are Md. Ali Azam (1980), Abul Hossain Khan, M Hossain Ali, Md. Golam Rahman, Md. Mujibur Rahman (In-charge), Prof. Md. Ashraf Uddin, Md. Reazul Karim Talukder, Prof. Md. Mozammel Hoque, Prof. AYM Ekram-ud-doula, Prof. Martin Bivash Dey, Md. Altaf Hossain, Prof. Md. Motiur Rahman, Alhaj Prof. Md. Anwar Hossain, Prof. Md. Mujibur Rahman, Prof. Md. Mozammel Huq, Md. Moniruzzaman(in charge), Md. Abdul Jabbar(in charge) ,Prof. Md. Saiful Islam and Prof. Md. Shafiqul Islam Akand present principal of the college.