The history of the government college of commerce, chittagong dates back to August, 1947, the month and year of partition of the British India which brought in the name of Pakistan an independent country on the world map. The Government Commercial Institute at Calcutta being the only specialized Government Degree College for Commerce in the whole of undivided Bengal, had to be partitioned at that time with about one-fourth of its movable assets as the share of Pakistan.It was those few movable assets with which a college under the name of Government College of Commerce started functioning provisionally from the last week of August, 1947, on the first floor of a two storied rented building on the opposite of the G.P.O. at the then Court Road. Chittagong being the only sea-port of East Pakistan with a prominent place in the international trade, with many business firms and a foreign bank and with prospects o economic development by business, trade, commerce and industry was considered to be the ideal and suitable place for the location of such a college.
Although there was a great dearth of teachers at the outset because of a pressing demand of qualified post graduates and as such both the intermediate and the Degree classes had to be managed with teachers some as full-times and some others as part-timers, but all of whom were highly qualified and experienced, this situation changed within four years and by the end of 1951 shortage of teaching staff was fully satisfied.
As a recognition to its past achievements and in anticipation of its future prospects, in 1954 this college was included along with other five government colleges as a participant in the inter college Exchange Project of the International Co-operation Administrator of the United States of America jointly sponsored by the United States Operation Mission in Pakistan and the Govt. of Pakistan under which this college received the help of two American Consultants at the college, received many valuable books and equipment as gift from the U.S.A. and sent six of the members of teaching staff to the A & M University of Texas, U.S.A. for higher degree over a period of seven to eight years. As one the terms and conditions of this project, the college had to be shifted to the commodious second floor of Nahar Building at the Strand Road. Simultaneously, the construction of own building of the college was started at Agrabad Commercial Area. In 1957, the college finally moved to its own newly completed building.
From its inception to this date, this college played the role of host for the Annual Conference of the then Pakistan Economic Association twice-once in 1956 and other in 1960 and also many important seminars of the Export Promotion Bureau, all of which were attended by a large number of distinguished educationists, businessmen, industrialists and bankers of the country including foreign dignitaries and exerts. Beside these, innumerable short training courses, debates and speeches, symposiums, conference, meeting and examinations of various associations, organizations, departments and institute of national and international importance took, place at this college from time to time.
Students passing from this college are holding important positions in different government and non-government organization. In the field sports and culture the students of this college have been making outstanding contribution. Every year the students of this college win gold and silver medal in the competition held under the auspices of national university. In addition many students are enlisted artists of Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh Television.
It is hoped that this college will be in a position to live upto the expectation of the guardians and the society and thus play still a better role in he future provided appropriate and legitimate attentions are given to it.